Monday, February 11, 2013

Joey does a bunk.....

Well, I had every intention to only write sporadically, but then the Bishop of Rome got all antsy and well, this is the sort of religious fodder which only happens every few centuries! (Every five centuries, to be exact.)

So what's to say? Honestly, I have no clue.

No, seriously, the last time this happened was in the early 15th century and was only in order to stop the Great Western Schism. So, you'll have to pardon me for being a bit confused as to what caused this to happen, how this happened, or even what the heck WILL happen! (I mean, really, what do you call a retired Holy Father? Grand-Holy-Father?)

Suffice it to say, I would NOT want to be a scholar of cannon-law at this time. I can imagine some seriously long nights ahead of them.

But what does this mean in realtime? Again, I'm really not sure. I doubt we'll ever know why Benedict XVI resigned. What I do know is that this will present the Roman Catholic church with a host of challenges, but also a host of opportunities.

You'll have to forgive me if I seem a bit cynic, but it's not as though we can point to the leadership of the Roman Catholic church as a model of transparency or a paradigm of effectiveness over the last few, uhm, decades? Herein is a grande opportunity to begin writing a new chapter in the Roman Catholic faith, one which respects and understands the historic doctrines of the church, but is flexible enough to be a relevant part of the 21st century.

Where will the next Pope come from? Right, I bet the bookmakers are having a hey-day with this, but here's my guess: Latin America. The European and North American cardinals have, largely, been far too tainted by child-abuse scandals. To elect a pope from one of these corners would seemingly be the height of ineptitude. (Then again.......) The Roman Catholic church in Asia is a far too sensitive subject in international politics for anyone to even THINK of suggesting a pontiff from those regions. This leaves Africa and Latin America. I think both have some valid considerations, but Latin America has turned out far more theologians -and been far more theologically relevant- than Africa in the last century. (Though, I would entirely expect that to change moving forward!)

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm right? All I know is that this is one big ecclesiastical crap-shoot!

BTW: I do hope you will join me in praying/thinking/vibe-ing for the Roman Catholic church, both as an institution and as a people. Change is never easy. It's ugly. It's messy. Often times, it's painful. Let's all hope and pray that this transformation takes place in the best way possible, with the least pain, and with the best outcomes.